Sunday, September 4, 2011

facebook memes

92.6% of all Facebook meme status updates piss me off.

The whole bra color, where I like to keep my purse, and now the new "12 weeks and craving chocolate lava pie with chocoloate ganache" memes that are supposedly to help raise awareness about breast cancer are especially irritating to me.
Well, they're kinda cute and make people go "huh? is my friend pregnant!?" but it certainly doesn't make me want to encourage all my boob-blessed gal pals to feel themselves up in the shower or get mammograms.
You know what actually spreads breast cancer awareness? Seeing the reality of double masectomies, taking your friend to chemo treatments, actually educating people about breast cancer. Oh, and also, men get breast cancer, too. So keeping this little girly FB meme secret from the menfolk is just counterproductive for spreading awareness.

AND (where this post was supposed to be headed before I got off on a tangent about faux activism), the posts that are all like "I love America and Jesus and God and the troops and Sarah Palin, but I bet 95% of you won't stand up for your beliefs and repost this" really get my goat. Seriously, in the US, you think being a patriotic Christian makes you a minority and that you're the only one courageous enough to publicize your beliefs!?

C'mon, quit making a mockery of statistics, according to Pew only ~20% won't repost it!

4 comments: